Charlotte's Guild President Blog 3
Hello, back again to read about my time in the Guild? Well get a cup of tea and get ready to read all about arrivals weekend, freshers' & the rest of September!
Let’s start off with......
- Saturday 02/09 – the first day of Arrival’s weekend went really really well! There was a few teary-eyed parents which is totally normal!
- Sunday 03/09 – the second day was equally as good as we did a breakfast meet and greet (massive thank you to the school of food for providing & working the breakfast morning!) The Guild and Student Services managed to speak to lots of new students & parents to make sure you guys were all set for the next few weeks. It was so nice to see you all settling in well.
- Welcome party – huge success in the perfect venue for our students as this became the Guild’s affiliated night venue for sporting societies.
- Big night in – massive success with students who are residents of both UCB halls of residences. Film watched Guardians of the Galaxies
- Pub Quiz – we had a winning team who won a £100 as a prize! Great job guys!
- Glitter Party – I know many people were looking forward to the Glitter Party @ the Rainbow Venues but as we couldn’t predict the weather it sadly was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances of Birmingham’s rainy weather (even in the middle it gets very chilly!) I was lucky enough to persuade the manager of Rainbow to allow us to have 100 free tickets to their event that night, Colours which I know some of you attended, hope you all had a good night whatever your plans were that night and once again apologies for the late cancellation.
- UCB Guild Cakes Bar Crawl – the UCB bar crawl was the biggest night as over 250 of you guys attended! The next big bar crawl will be coming soon and it will be a big one!
- Freshers’ Fayre After Party – this year’s freshers’ fayre after party was a massive hit for students as Rainbow’s residential DJ, Tom Shorterz was the headline act. After speaking to a few of you that night, everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves. Let’s hope to get a headline act for the next big event!
- Closing party – the closing party this year was at recently opened Bierkeller! What better way to end Freshers’ than treating yourself to a stein and dancing on tables?! Well, UCB we did just that!
*Freshers' daytime activities*
- Freshers’ Society Fayre – The Guild VP for Activities and Development, Shelley Harvey, organised a Society Fayre which included the Purity society, vegan, walking, business and enterprise, & LGBT which went down really well! Remember if you would like to set up a new society or have any questions regarding societies (sporting or non-sporting) you can contact Shelley or pop into the Guild Office on Monday or Tuesday to have a chat with her.
- Workshops – as the Guild and Health and Wellbeing Team were working together for the majority of the daytime activities it was a great opportunity for students to get to know what facilities the University have to offer. All the workshops went really well and everyone seemed to enjoy them, especially the photo treasure hunt!
- Freshers’ Fayre – Freshers’ fayre was amazing this year in the Guild’s eyes as about 500 of you attended, over 200 hundred of you signed up for different Guild societies including sporting and non-sporting, Domino’s pizza was £1, a DJ was provide by UCB Guild’s affiliated nightclub, Walkabout and we had lots of stalls that were a huge success (especially the candy floss)
- Alton towers – the trip to Alton Towers went so smoothly and we hope you guys enjoyed yourselves as much as the Guild Exec team did! However I do think my rollercoaster days are over and I’ll be sticking to the teapots from now on.
SO NOW FOR THE REST OF SEPTMEBER….
If anyone knows me they know I’m not very good at public speaking or speaking to a group larger than about 10 people BUT I managed to get over (just for the day) speaking to larger groups as I did 3 inductions in one day – Erasmus, International and EU & Overseas. If you were in one of those lectures and reading this now thank you all for being such amazing groups and getting involved in Guild activities and joining our Social Media channels! After those 3 inductions were done I managed to then go onto doing about 5 more over Induction week which was not only beneficial to you guys by understanding what the Guild do but also very beneficial to me as public speaking is one of my weaknesses and practice makes perfect, here’s hoping that when Summer Ball comes round my voice won’t be as shaky as last year!
*Genes for Jeans day*
The Guild participated in Jeans for Gene’s day to raise awareness and money for all the children that face a gene disorder. The Guild are looking into working with a lot of charities this year as we have a new RAG Officer, Joe ‘WAFFLE’ Wassell who is very keen on planning & organising charity events for this academic year. Joe has organised a quiz night in aid of Breast Cancer Awareness month on October 19th starting from 6:30pm in the GuildSpace, make sure you pop down, entry is only £1. More information can be found on the Guild website (www.ucbguild.org.uk/)
Towards the end of September I started to research into the Strategic Plan and what would need to be added into the document. A strategic plan will set out what the Guild envisions for the next 3-5 years, this covers the Guild’s missions, values, purpose & vision. There will be more updates on the Strategic Plan over the next month!
THE VERY END OF SEPTEMBER…..
As many of you have seen all of the third years (now graduates) had graduation on September 29th at Symphony Hall and what a special day it was for all of us! It was so nice to see everyone I first started University graduate. University has made me the best friends that I know I’ll be friends with them for a very very long time and I can’t wait to see us all be successful in the future. For the night time event the Guild sold over 300 Grad After Party tickets for UCB students & graduates which is amazing – I hope you guys all had an amazing time, I know I did (apart from throwing my cap on someone by accident when taking the whole ‘throw your cap in the air’ picture)
So there you have it, my crazy busy month of September (hence why my blogs 16 days late!) I promise October’s blog will be up by the 31st
Thanks for reading guys!